Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Another [Less Exoticized] Africa


The above picture is one that majorly arouses suspicion, with the majority of it being negative in nature. My point is that even the simplest things of everyday life that we could somehow identify with, and even things we cannot, produce some of the more negative connotations in the minds of unwary onlookers who have been brainwashed to believe that Africa is this one place where normal things cannot take place.

In the photo referenced above, how many of us could say that the first thing to catch our attention was not the fact that there was an African woman holding a baby that appears to be white. This primary aspect of the picture draws a significant amount of attention from other things that could be taking place at the time the photo was taken. For example, only after a second look did I take the time out to admire the elaborate and royal designs on the dress of the woman. I also failed to pay any attention to the motorcycles in the background. Now, I could be finding out that I am a hopeless racist who notices nothing but color, or there are some people reading this who can relate.
Upon first glance, the common onlooker who has been fed by American media would maybe firstly think, “Why is she holding that baby that is obviously not hers” or “I bet she’s the nurse maid for some white woman”. But please take this time to second guess yourself.
Why is it automatically more plausible for this woman to be a nursemaid than for her to be holding a close friend’s child, or to have even adopted this child herself?
We, Americans primarily, have this tendency to view color as the primary defining facet of every person that we meet. As we encounter different people, the first thing we notice of course is ethnicity and/or race. This is the foundation for who that person is to us a lot of the time, and plays an important role in the perspective we have of that person. Why do you think we ask a person their race when we cannot readily identify it ourselves? We take into consideration what experience perceptions we have had pertaining to others of their race or ethnicity, and attribute it to that person. Automatically, by color contrast with the baby, we have already presupposed that there could be no real positive reason that this woman could be holding this child.
Based on difference instead of similarity, we find ways to "other" people, especially those in Africa who we have not given the proper chance to make an impression on us for themselves.

I do however, think that the photographer Robert Lyons does an excellent job of taking pictures that would not interest the common American looking for exoticism, and it calls for you to ask yourself what is the real reason you do or do not enjoy or appreciate the photos in the book. If you are looking for the wonder displayed in media, you may be disappointed.

6 comments:

  1. I love the way you noticed to bring up all the questions that one may ask when observing this picture. I also thought that you did a great job analyzing the image itself. When I first noticed the image the first thing that caught my attention was the fact that an African women was holding a white baby. This image does show a less exoticized Africa where we can see things such as the diversity in this image. Its good to see other abstracts of Africa and the people as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right in noting that the first thing that is noticed is a black woman holding a white baby, but actually, for me, the modernized aspects of this image really somewhat prevents me from going straight to stereotypically analyzing this image. Say, if the picture were in black and white and didn't have motorcycles, I would probably be more prone to accusing the woman of being a "mammy"-like image. When I look at this image, I actually just look at it as if it were me holding a white baby--no big deal. The lighting is equally distributed which shows that no one thing should be focussed on in particular. I like babies, so this image just makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally right, there are so many different possibilities for what exactly this picture is and there is no way that one can assume that the woman is a maid or a babysitter working for a white family. Nikki also has a good point though, the motorcycles and the modern look of the picture stopped me from making this assumption. Because of the modern feel of the picture I thought that the child was either adopted or a friend's child since the woman and the child are not dressed in the same style. The picture's lighting is also not focused on anything as Nikki said, making the image portray an every-day, normal image of life for the people in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @thibs - Thank you!
    @Nikki - I think that you are right. The fact that there are tokens of a more modern period in time, it becomes less liable for someone to critically and straightforwardly say that maybe she works for someone. Thanks!
    @molly - I commend the fact that you alternate between many possible alternatives that explain this picture. I find it hard to do sometimes. Also, the photographer does an excellent job of giving you something not out of the ordinary. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see this photo I think, "Take that, Madonna!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your analysis. When I first saw the picture I automatically zeroed in on the racial differences. Racial differences are something that is embedded in most of our heads as young children. It is ok to know how different people are but it is not ok to seek out those differences because of negative connotations.

    ReplyDelete